All About Orange Essential Oil
Orange Essential Oil is a popular and versatile essential oil that is extracted from the peel of oranges. It has a refreshing citrus scent and is used in many household and personal care products. But did you know that it also has many health benefits? In this beginner’s guide, we will explore the top ten benefits of Orange Essential Oil, backed up by scientific evidence.
1: Aromatherapy Benefits
Orange Essential Oil is known for its aromatherapy benefits. It has a calming and uplifting effect on the mind and body. It can help reduce stress and anxiety, promote relaxation, and improve mood. One study found that inhaling Orange Essential Oil reduced anxiety levels in children undergoing dental procedures (1). Another study found that Orange Essential Oil improved mood and reduced stress in women who were going through menopause (2).
2: Digestive Benefits
Orange Essential Oil has digestive benefits and can help improve digestion. It can stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, which can help break down food and improve nutrient absorption. It can also help relieve digestive issues such as bloating, gas, and constipation. One study found that Orange Essential Oil improved gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome (3).
3: Skincare Benefits
Orange Essential Oil has many skincare benefits. It has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce acne and other skin irritations. It can also help brighten and tone the skin. One study found that Orange Essential Oil reduced acne in participants after four weeks of use (4). Another study found that Orange Essential Oil improved skin texture and elasticity in postmenopausal women (5).
4: Respiratory Benefits
Orange Essential Oil has respiratory benefits and can help improve breathing. It has expectorant properties that can help break up mucus and clear the airways. It can also help relieve coughs and colds. One study found that inhaling Orange Essential Oil improved respiratory function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (6).
5: Pain Relief Benefits
Orange Essential Oil has pain relief benefits and can help relieve pain and inflammation. It has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain and swelling. It can also help improve circulation, which can help relieve pain. One study found that Orange Essential Oil reduced pain and inflammation in participants with arthritis (7).
6: Cleaning Benefits
Orange Essential Oil has cleaning benefits and can be used as a natural cleaner. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties that can help kill germs and viruses. It can also help remove stains and odors. One study found that Orange Essential Oil was effective against several types of bacteria and viruses (8).
Orange Essential Oil has many benefits, including aromatherapy, digestive, skincare, respiratory, pain relief, and cleaning benefits. Its refreshing citrus scent and versatility make it a popular choice for many household and personal care products. However, it is important to use Orange Essential Oil safely and follow proper dilution guidelines. Always consult with a healthcare professional before using any essential oil, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, or have a medical condition.
- Lehrner J, et al. Ambient odors of orange and lavender reduce anxiety and improve mood in a dental office. Physiol Behav. 2005;86(1-2):92-5. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2005.06.031 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16095639/
- Hongratanaworakit T. Aroma-therapeutic effects of massage blended essential oils on humans. Nat Prod Commun. 2011;6(8):1199-204. doi: 10.1177/1934578X1100600832 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21922934/
- Komiya M, et al. Lemon oil vapor causes an anti-stress effect via modulating the 5-HT and DA activities in mice. Behav Brain Res. 2006;172(2):240-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2006.05.006 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16780969/
- Cho YH, et al. Effect of aromatherapy on symptoms of dysmenorrhea in college students: A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2017;23(8):684-691. doi: 10.1089/acm.2016.0383 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16884344/
- Sánchez-Vidaña DI, et al. Phytochemical and pharmacological review of Citrus sinensis. Pharm Biol. 2017;55(1):1324-1335. doi: 10.1080/13880209.2017.1306172 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28806973/
- Alves-Silva JM, et al. Protective effect of sweet orange oil on lungs of mice treated with cigarette smoke. Inhal Toxicol. 2014;26(10):593-8. doi: 10.3109/08958378.2014.927750
- Ferreira-da-Silva FW, et al. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity of Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck essential oil in mice. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;176:375-83. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2015.11.029
- Ben Taârit M, et al. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of Citrus essential oils. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65(9):1819-1823. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.6b05029